Thursday, September 28, 2006

I have a thought I would like to share. It is undeveloped, like most of the thoughts I have, but I have found that after I write something out I can usually then begin to organize it in my head. We had a fun activity last night with the Elder's Quorum, we named it Manrichment, instead of enrichment for the Relief Society. The purpose of manrichment is to build unity and also to allow us to foster our manly skills, but mainly to build unity. We started out by playing football, it was total chaos. There was probably 10 to 12 guys on each team and no order to what they did. I was all time quarterback(it was illegal to rush me because I can't run, don't worry mom I am not that stupid). It was impossible to tell who was who and usually I would hear someone yell my name and I would throw the ball in there general direction and hope they caught it. I threw 7 touchdown passes, 1 was a hail mary, and had 3 interceptions. We then returned to the pavilion and we all ate some meat. It was mainly hamburgers and polish sausage. To end the night, we had a member of the quorum that is really good at fighting, teach us how to take someone down from all different directions. It was a lot of fun and the activity accomplished its purpose.
This brings me to my thought, unity. I haven't put a ton of thought into it, but in almost anything we do unity will increase our ability to perform well. Why is that? In the whole scheme of things what eternal benefits come from us being united. As I learn more about life and the gospel, I continually feel that it is a personal thing. Life is not something we can dump off on someone else, we must live it and we must make the choices that make us who we are. So then why is me being united with my family, my friends, my team, my God, and any other relationship I have so important. I am not sure except for the idea that we are all in this together. I think of a talk that Elder Holland gave a while back entitled "the prodgial son" he mentions that life was never meant to be a race to the finish, but more of a team effort. I need to do a better job of being unified in all aspects of my life. I would love to have any of my readers give some of their insights and comments on unity.

3 comments:

Dad said...

Addie,
I love your thoughts and I think you express them very well. Just to add to them, I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has created us to be dependent on one another, because life is so much richer when we can serve each other, plus we learn so much from each other, plus it makes life so interestng and spontaneous (at least sometimes). Plus, I find that I am happiest when "connected" to others, especially my family. Thanks for you insight!

Mark said...

This weekend, as I struggled mightily in body and spirit to hook-up our new washing machine, I benefitted immeasurably from the kindness and varied expertise of 8 (eight!!!) friends, neighbors and quorum members to do the electrical and plumbing work correctly. It was a fiasco that ended well, thanks to a little help from my friends.

We are all interdependent on each other; no man is an island. Wouldn't it be lonely to make it to heaven and have no one to share it with?

Now, invite me to your next Manrichment Night, and I'll show you not just how to take someone out, but rather out for GOOD, with my patented Five Swords technique. It's a frenzied flash of ferocity that leaves an attacker battered, broken, and seeing them pearly gates. Don't mess with me, man. (Sniff)

Danalin said...

I learn more about myself and recognize my strengths more when I am united with others - when they are leaning on me and I am leaning on them. I am stronger, happier, more in love with life when it is focused on serving and lifting and loving those around me.

We have a neighbor, Dolly, who is in her 70's and lives alone. She has 6 children and several grandchildren who love her and visit when they get a chance...a daughter who lives nearby. But the other day she was talking about how hard it is to live alone and to be alone. Tyler has helped her with several things and she and I have visited a lot. The other day when she was talking about the difficulties she faces, I resolved in my mind to be much more helpful...more united with her. I will feel better and she will feel better (hopefully).

Unity is a beautiful thing. It is vital in the most meaningful relationships and helpful in the more superficial ones. I am darn glad that we don't have to go through life on our own and even happier that Heavenly Father wants us to help others - and be helped by them while we are here. Our salvation is indeed our responsibility, but I am grateful for the help that I get along the way!

Thanks for the thought-provoking blog, Ad. I don't know if what I said made sense...but there it is!