Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Christmas and Babies

Laura and I decided that last night's FHE would be get the apartment ready for Christmas night. It turns out that I felt sick as a dog and Laura ended up doing most of the decorating and we are reaping the blessings of Laura's Christmas greatness and cheer. Check out our Christmas tree and our random decorations. (it turns out we don't have a whole lot of room to decorate with so we just had to randomly put things up)


Better than Christmas decorations Laura and I were able to go see our OB/GYN today and had a wonderful experience. We really like him, Dr. Mckernan, and were impressed at his memory of Mark and Liz and of Jeff and Angie. (He delivered Joy and Cal) Without us saying anything to him he walked into the room and looked at me and said are you a student at Midwestern? I said yes. Then he said are you one of the Fosters? Jeff and Mark? I said yes they were my brothers. Isn't Mark in Colorado now? Yes, and Jeff is in his residency. Anyway, after talking a little bit more we realized he didn't have all of the details right but we were still impressed by him.

By far the best experience of the visit was the ultrasound. I had heard about and seen a lot of ultrasounds before and honestly I had thought that they were kind of lame. You could barely see what was going on. It just looked like a blob. But when it was your wife's stomach and your baby that they are looking at it becomes a totally different experience. Not only that but the baby moves! I didn't know that. My wife has a moving baby inside of her stomach and we got to see it today! In fact she/he couldn't stop moving. Not only does he/she move, but has a heartbeat. It was moving so much the technician was having a hard time getting the heartbeat. Neither Laura and I really said anything while we were watching the baby move and listening to the heartbeat but I can honestly say that I was blown away. It was the first time I really felt like a Dad. (It actually feels weird to type those letters with them referring to me) I am going to be a Dad!!!

Here is the first picture of our baby!
According to the ultrasound the baby is 11 weeks and 4 days old which is about a week ahead of what we thought. The due date has been changed to June 19. We still think that our original due date is correct but it doesn't really matter. Laura is officially pregnant.
Even though I am not feeling very good and school has just started, we both feel that life is good, real good!

2 comments:

xaque said...

Well done dad.

Dad said...

Addie,
I looked at the utltrasound. I'm afraid you guys are going to have a lizard instead of a baby!!
I can't ever see those things very well, although I can tell he is going to be a mellon head for sure. Such a big head.

Technology is amazing. We had no such thing for any of our children....that I can remember and certainly not in the detail you get these days.

We are so happy for you two and all this means. Dad and Mom are the two greatest titles ever. (next to Grandpa!!)

Love you son and congrats to both of you.

Dad